Main Purpose of Position
To lead multi-discipline design teams to produce the designs for plant and equipment. These designs will cover the full project life cycle from concept design through to manufacture and commissioning.
Specific Areas of Responsibility
- Produce, check and manage the production of concept, scheme and detail designs.
- Produce, check and manage the production of technical documents.
- Undertake hazard analysis and risk reduction on designs for CDM compliance and CE marking.
- Produce designs that conform to relevant legislation, harmonised standards and client requirements.
- Undertake optioneering and design studies, producing reports on outcome while making recommendations.
- Ensure designs addresses operability, maintainability, constructability, manufacturability and safety requirements.
- Conduct design reviews to demonstrate compliance with relevant legislation, harmonised standards and client requirements.
- Management of internal and external design interfaces.
- Liaison with suppliers for external design subcontracts.
- Ensure compliance with Design Quality Plans.
- Produce and maintain technical files in accordance with NIS Quality Assurance requirements.
- Produce Design Justification Reports that demonstrate designs mitigates all technical risks identified.
- Produce a level of information (drawings, specifications, works instructions etc.) that enable manufacturing to take place.
- Ensure designs meet the required project programmes, budgets and quality.
- Support the Business Creation process, being the technical lead within bid teams.
Technical Competency & Development
- Highly experienced with design of complex mechanical systems, including
- Robotics and automation systems
- Materials handling equipment
- Remote handling systems
- Pneumatic and hydraulic systems
- Containment and shielding systems
- Decommissioning systems
- Proven capability to manage multi-discipline design teams to deliver engineering projects within time and budget.
- Ability to present designs to internal audiences and clients.
- Knowledge of CDM and CE marking requirements
- Actively participate in the development of NIS’ Engineering Department skills, tools and techniques.
- Undertake design estimates to support business development activities
- Be line manager for allocated engineering teams, providing supervision, mentoring and undertaking periodic staff appraisals.
- Act as Chair and provide records for technical meetings
- Carry out any other tasks within the job holder’s capability as requested by the Engineering Manager
Reports to: Head of Engineering
Reportees: Assigned design team
- Compliance with company procedures and policies.
- Display a professional, acceptable attitude and image for all work associated with and undertaken on behalf of NIS Ltd.
- Champion and up hold the NIS values: Respect, Commit. Protect , Inspire