Main purpose of Position
The Principal EC&I Engineer will be responsible for leading design teams to produce the designs for NIS projects. These designs will cover the full project life cycle from concept design through to manufacture and commissioning.
The engineer will lead a multi-discipline design team and be responsible for coordinating and planning the design of equipment. The engineer will interface with the project manager, engineering manager and client.
Work will be managing a team of designers reporting to the Engineering Manager.
Specific Areas of Responsibility
- Produce or manage the production of design concepts / layouts.
- Carry out technical risk analysis on designs for EMC compliance and CE certification.
- Produce or manage the production of designs that conform to the relevant British and European standards and client requirements.
- Produce or manage the production or maintenance of a technical file in accordance with NIS Quality Assurance.
- Ensure that the design addresses operability, maintainability and safety issues.
- Produce or manage the production of Design Justification Reports that demonstrate the design mitigates all technical risks identified.
- Produce or manage the production of a level of information (drawings, specifications, works instructions, etc.) that enable manufacturing to take place.
- Check drawing details.
- Undertake or manage design studies and the production of reports on outcome while making recommendations.
- Ensure designs meet the required project programmes, budgets and quality.
- Support the Business Development process, being the technical lead within bid team.
Technical Competency & Development
- Highly experienced with design of complex electrical systems for, including but not limited to:
- Robotics and automation systems
- Materials handling equipment
- Remote handling systems
- Pneumatic and hydraulic systems
- Containment and shielding systems
- Decommissioning systems
- Proven capability to manage multi-discipline design teams to deliver engineering projects within time and budget.
- Ability to present designs to internal audiences and clients.
- Knowledge of CDM and CE marking requirements.
- Actively participate in the development of NIS’ Engineering Department skills, tools and techniques.
- Undertake design estimates to support business development activities.
- Be line manager for allocated engineering teams, providing supervision, mentoring and undertaking periodic staff appraisals.
- Chair design reviews, risk assessment meetings, present designs etc.
- Carry out any other tasks within the job holder’s capability as requested by the Engineering Manager.
- When required be part of the test and commissioning team which could require having to work away from home for short periods.
Reports to: Head of Engineering
Reportees: Senior Electrical Engineers, Electrical Engineers
- Compliance with company procedures and policies.
- Display a professional, acceptable attitude and image for all work associated with and undertaken on behalf of NIS Ltd.
- Adhere to NIS core values: Respect, Protect, Commit, Inspire